Thursday, April 19, 2012

Veggie Recipes- My Fridge- Thursday Meals

Grilled Zucchini Roll-Ups With Herbs and Cheese Recipe - Health.com
2 Points Plus

                                       


 Calypso Turkey Salad = 8 Points Plu
  • 1 pound cooked turkey breast, cubed
  • 1 1/2 cups organic celery, diagonally sliced
  • 1 cup organic seedless grapes
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 2 green onions, sliced
  • 1 large organic tart apple, cubed
  • 1/2 cup organic plain yogurt
  • 1/3 cup light mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup chutney, chopped
  • 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
  • loose leaf lettuce, as needed
  • 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts, coarsely chopped
Preparation
Combine turkey, celery, grapes, raisins, green onions and apple in a large bowl.
In a small bowl, combine yogurt, mayonnaise, chutney and curry powder.
Pour dressing over turkey mixture and toss well to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate at least one hour to blend flavors.
Serve on lettuce leaves and garnish with peanuts.
Refrigerate at least one hour before serving.
Makes 6 servings








Mary went home from our meeting and made the Cole Slaw recipe that Linda shared with us. Here is how she made it. It sounds great.
                                  Cole Slaw= 0 Points Plus
I used fat free Miracle Whip. 1 tbl was 0 points. I multiplied it by 4 and it was still 0 points ( that's 1/4 cup, which is a lot) , then I put in 1/8 tsp Apple cider vinegar, and a pinch of Truvia. I wanted to put Carraway seeds in, but didn't have any, so I used Coriander Seeds which were ground. Then I started adding the broccoli cole slaw. I used about 1/2 bag, which was not enough for the dressing I made. So, I added more slaw. I added the Coriander seed at the end, and not knowing how much to use, I just added it to taste. This was really good.


Here are some more ideas for using broccoli slaw. I like putting it into 1- Spring Roll Wrapper along with 1 oz. shrimp, a little cilantro, and green onion. Serve with 1 Tbsp. Trader Joes Spicy Peanut Dressing. = 2 Points Plus
I also stuff it into my pita sandwiches, fish tacos, I add Newmans Own Sesame Ginger Dressing and serve as a salad, I add to stir frys, mix into Shiratake Noodles with some grilled chicken and a wedge of Laughing Cow Cheese. These are just a few ideas for the very versatile Broccoli Slaw.



Turkey Reuben Recipe  = 9 Point Plus


Arugula Pear Salad = 3 Points Plus
Ingredients
  • 4 cups arugula
  • 1 half of a small red onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 medium pear, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup toasted almond slivers
  • 1/4 cup reduced fat blue cheese crumbles (I used the kind by Treasure Cave)
  • 1/3 cup white balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp sugar

Toast almonds by placing in a small, un-greased skillet over medium high heat. Toss every few minutes until almonds brown, about 6 minutes. Set aside.

  1. In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, sugar and white balsamic vinegar.
  2. In a large bowl, combine arugula and onion, and add in the dressing. Toss well.
  3. Top with the almonds and blue cheese crumbles.
4 Servings= 3 PP
                                     



                            Cauliflower Broccoli Raisin Salad ( I love this salad)
2 1/2 cup cauliflower chopped small
2 1/2 cup broccoli chopped small
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup raisins
2 Tbsp. Hormel bacon bits
1/2 cup Kraft Free mayonnaise
2 Tbsp. white vinegar
2 Tbsp. Splenda
Mix all  ingredients  together in bowl. Cover and  chill in fridge for 2 hours. Stir to mix and serve.  2/3 cup = 2 Points Plus

                                        Green Beans and Caramelized Onions
                                               Serves 6- 1 Points Plus
 1 tablespoon margarine, or butter                 
1 1/2 cup(s) onion(s), chopped 1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon vinegar, balsamic, or red wine vinegar                 
1/2 ounce(s) pepper(s), red sweet, roasted, drained and finely chopped
1/4 cup(s) olives, pitted, ripe, quartered                 
2 tablespoon basil, fresh, snipped
1/4 teaspoon salt                 
1/4 teaspoon pepper, black                 
1 pounds beans, green, cut into 2-inch lengths                 
1. In a large heavy skillet heat margarine or butter over medium heat until melted. Cook and stir onion and sugar in margarine or butter about 10 minutes or until the onion is very tender and golden brown. Stir in vinegar. Cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes more or until liquid evaporates. Stir in the roasted red peppers, olives, basil, salt, and black pepper. Remove skillet from heat; keep warm.

2. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan cook the green beans, covered, in a small amount of boiling water about 10 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. To serve, stir caramelized onion into green beans
                            
                                           

                              About the meeting and my week:

I really liked the meeting today. It  was nice to get ideas of  varieties of fruits and veggies  that I haven't tried. I also enjoyed looking for ways to use fruits and veggies in recipes. I haven't tried the recipes above but I did do the  points on them  and  I look forward to hearing from you if you try any of  these. 

Below I've included pictures of my fridge. I thought the story Kim told us about the leader from Redding doing this was very interesting.  I also intend to take my measurements this week and see how many inches I have lost.  Sometimes I forget how far I've come. This will be a great reminder.

My week this week was not successful on the scale because I discovered you don't lose weight eating 2 bags of 75% off Easter jelly beans, potato chips and ice cream sandwiches in the evening from 8- 10pm 3 nights out of 7.  My biggest struggle still is my night time eating. I have tried going to bed early, staying busy on the computer , reading, you name it. About 75 % of the time I can over come this bad habit but the other 25% gets me  in trouble. I know this is something I will change as I continue on this journey. Like all new habits it just takes time to figure out what I can replace this bad habit with.  I hope you all have a wonderful week and don't forget to try some kind of fruit or veggie that you have never eaten before. With the wonderful weather we are having and all the great spring fruits and veggies now available, how can we go wrong.

                                           MY FRIDGE










                                               MY THURSDAY VEGGIE/FRUIT FILLED DAY


           Thursday Breakfast
Subway 5 Points Plus Sandwich. Whole Wheat English Muffin, 1 slice bacon, Egg White, loads of veggies. Thanks for sharing breakfast with me Sara.


 Thursday Lunch

1 whole wheat tortilla, 3 oz. turkey breast, lettuce, zucchini, radishes, carrots, bell pepper, laughing cow cheese  wedge, 1 Tbsp. fat free ranch= 6 Points Plus                  



                                    Dinner                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
1  WW Smart One Macaroni and Cheese , broccoli, green-yellow-red bell pepper, mushrooms=
                                         8 Points Plus

Snacks: Apple with Laughing Cow Swiss Cheese Wedge,  Banana with Trader Joes Better N Peanut Butter = 3 Points Plus


DESSERT
I made the 1-2-3 cake recipe that Kim told us about. I took 3 Tbsp. Angel Food Cake mix, 2 Tbsp. water . Mix thoroughly in small bowl, place into microwave and bake for 1 minute. It was just enough to serve with my strawberries and reddi-whip. 3 Points Plus

The recipe Kim gave us:
 Single Serve Cakes = 3 Points Plus
1- angel food cake mix
1- any flavor regular cake mix
 Combine these 2 mixes together with a whisk. Store in zip lock bag. When ready to use shake bag to mix well.
To make cake:
3 Tbsp. cake mixture
2 Tbsp. water
Mix in small bowl, micro-wave for 1 minute. Enjoy

Great minds think alike. Got an email from Mary M and she also went home and made the single serve cake. She used a chocolate cake. She made it in an 8 oz. cup.  After it cooled she topped with crushed raspberries, cool whip and a 1/2 tsp. chocolate syrup. Mary said it was HEAVEN.

Dare to accomplish the things you've only dreamed about doing. If you can dream it, you can do it!

— Denise




I feel like my body has gotten totally out of shape, so I got my Doctor's permission to join a fitness club and start exercising. I decided to take a aerobics class for seniors. I bent, twisted, gyrated, jumped up and down, and perspired for an hour. But by the time I got my leotards on the class was over.




Not dressing up the meal with color is like sending someone out of the house without clothes.
                                        
                             See You All On Thursday













No comments:

Post a Comment