Thursday, November 1, 2012

Pumpkin Cheesecake Shooters and more

I'm back and I'm hitting the road running. I had a wonderful time on my vacation but it's time to get back to healthy cooking and healthy food choices. I'm so glad that I had some habits that stuck with me while I was gone, walking and a good breakfast. Now it's time to get back in the habit of doing what I know best. Journal, measure, exercise, all the things I have learned over the last two years that has gotten me to where  I am. I am so glad you are all a part of my journey. See you next week.

Bon Appetit
Lynda



Todays Inspiration


Motivational Quote - Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.

copied from: sparkpeople.com

Here are two recipes I have made since returning from my trips. They are both keepers. I am looking forward to sharing some new recipes with all of you in the next few weeks. My plan is to share recipes for Thanksgiving dishes. Of course I had to start with dessert. These shooters are amazing. You won't be able to eat just one but with the adjustments I made they are 1 PP each. Another quick idea for a quick pumpkin dessert is to make the 3 2 1 cake with pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices . As we pepare for the holidays I hope we can all pitch in and share some healthy recipes. I plan on making this the healthiest Thanksgiving ever. Check in next week and I will be sharing the veggie part of my meal.


Pumpkin Cheesecake ShootersSkinnytaste.comServings: 16 • Size: 1 shot glass* • Old Points: 2 pts • Points+: 2
Calories: 78 • Fat: 4.2 g • Carb: 11.6 g • Fiber: 0 g • Protein: 1 g • Sugar: 7.5 g
Sodium: 16.5 mg


Ingredients:


  • 3 (1.5 oz total) whole chocolate graham crackers
  • 4 oz 1/3 fat cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup pure canned pumpkin
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 3 tbsp dark brown sugar, unpacked
  • 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 8 oz light whipped topping (I used Truwhip light)

Directions:

Crush graham crackers in a food processor. Set aside.

In a large bowl beat the cream cheese until smooth with an electric mixer. Add the pumpkin, vanilla, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg and cinnamon. Beat until well combined and creamy. Use a spatula to fold in 5 oz (1-1/2 cups) of the whipped topping; combine until no streaks remain. Place in a piping bag or ziplock bag with a corner snipped off.

To assemble: Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of graham cracker crumbs on the bottom of each shot glass. Pipe a layer of pumpkin cheesecake onto the graham cracker crust (about 1 tbsp) followed by a layer of whipped topping. Repeat a second layer and finish with another sprinkle of crumbs. Insert small spoons and refrigerator until ready to serve.
copied from: skinnytaste.com


I adjusted the recipe a bit to make it 1 PP. I used regular graham crackers (that's what I had in the cupboard.) I used fat free cream cheese and fat free cool whip. I shared these with Kim, Jean, Frankie, Margurette and they all thought they were delicious. Hope you all enjoy them as much as we did.




Kale and Potato Soup with Turkey Sausage
Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
Servings: 4 servings Size: 1/4th Old Points: 5 pts • Points+: 6
Calories: 284.1 • Fat: 5.0 g • Carb: 37.6 g • Fiber: 5.5 g • Protein: 22.6 g • Sugar: 2.4 g
Ingredients:
  • 1 lb reduced fat, turkey sausage
  • 1 lb kale, stems removed, leaves shredded
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 medium carrot, sliced
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 6 cups fat free chicken broth
  • 3 medium new or red potatoes, peeled diced into 1/4 inch pieces
  • 1 pinch dried red pepper flakes
  • salt to taste
  • 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper

Directions:
In a large pot, cook sausage over low heat. Turn and cook until brown, about 10 minutes. Remove from pot and let cool. Cut sausage into slices. Remove fat from pot.
Add oil to pot, add onion and cook on medium until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
Add broth carrots, and black pepper, bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes. Add sausage, potatoes, red pepper flakes and bring back to a simmer. Cook covered for about 4 minutes. Add kale and bring back to a simmer. Cook partially covered until the potatoes and kale are cooked. Adjust salt if needed.

Frankie and Jean were my taste testers for this recipe. They both said they could eat this again soon. I agree, it is very filling and tastes like something you could get in any restaurant only better because it is Points Plus friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment