Saturday, January 26, 2013

My week and new recipes

Just to let you know how things are going with me this week. So far so good. Weighing, measuring, journaling has just got to be a way of life for me. It's funny if I do these things consistently how me and the scale are best friends. When I don't do these things I don't see any downward movement of the scale. I'm really enjoying the  WW 360 program. I like focusing on one new routine for a month at a time. It's seems to be sticking with me so much better. I also bought the active link. I'm finding out it makes me want to get up off the couch and move. Even when I'm watching TV I'm more aware that I should move some during a program. 

Hope all of you are having a wonderful weekend inspite of the dreary weather. Don't forget to get out and get some sort of activity in. Mark you calenders for Saturday- April 6th for our  Paradise Weight Watchers 5k. It should be fun. Maybe bring a friend along that wants to start walking but isn't quit sure if she's ready. You can walk as far as you want.You don't have to do the whole 5k. I know just being with a bunch of people, walking and talking makes the time go so fast and before you know it your done. Hope to see you there. :)

Below are two recipes I tried on Thursday.   I really liked the Oatmeal Berry Breakfast Cake. I brought it to our WW meeting and I'm glad to say, it was very good and kept me full till 1pm when I had time for lunch. 

I made the Blackened shrimp with pomegranate orange salsa for dinner. I loved the blackened shrimp and the salsa was a tasty morsel too. I think I will make the blackened shrimp again and make it into shrimp tacos. I am also planning on using the seasoning on tilapia to make blackened tilapia.   I ended up just serving the shrimp with a large salad as my day was really hectic and I was hungry and didn't want to take time to make rice to serve with it. Very filling and tasty.




Mary was scoping out recipe sites today and shared these two recipes with me. They look really good.  Thanks Mary

Light Cheese Nachos
No need to feel guilty about this healthy version of a typically fattening food. These delicious Light Cheese Nachos are quick and easy to make and are a perfect, low calorie alternative to your favorite restaurant nacho platter.
Ingredients
  • 2 oz reduced fat tortilla chips (about 28 chips)
  • 1/2 cup reduced fat Mexican cheese blend
  • 1/2 small red onion, diced
  • 1/2 small red bell pepper, diced
  • 1/4 cup prepared salsa
  • 1/4 cup plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
  • 1 tbsp cilantro, chopped
  • 1 tbsp black olive slices
  • 2 tbsp jalapeno slices
Instructions
  1. Place tortilla chips on microwave place, and top evenly with shredded cheese.
  2. Microwave on high for 1 minute, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
  3. Top with remaining ingredients and serve immediately.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate
Number of servings (yield): 2
Culinary tradition: Mexican
Entire recipe makes 2 servings
Serving size is 1/2 of entire platter
Each serving = 6 Points +
PER SERVING: 238 calories; 10g fat; 13g protein


Low Calorie Sloppy Joe
This slimmed down version of a popular comfort food is perfect for a healthy weeknight dinner. It’s easy, delicious and a lot more nutritious than the kind you ate as a kid.
Ingredients
  • 1lb extra lean ground beef (96%lean/4%fat)
  • 6 low calorie bread rolls, toasted (I used Trader Joe’s Ciabatta Rolls)
  • 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp steak seasoning blend
  • 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
Instructions
  1. Spray a large, nonstick skillet with non-fat cooking spray and set over medium high heat. Add in onions and garlic and sauté until just becoming tender, about 3 minutes.
  2. Add in the ground beef, steak seasoning and pepper, and cook, while breaking apart, until meat is cooked through browned.
  3. Add in bell peppers, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce and reduce heat to medium. Cook for another 5 minutes.
  4. Stir in diced tomatoes, ketchup and tomato paste. Cook for another 5-8 minutes.
  5. Using a large spoon, pile sloppy joe meat onto bun bottoms and cover with bun tops
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is 1 Sloppy Joe sandwich
Each serving = 7 Points +
PER SERVING: 286 calories; 3g fat; 40g carbohydrates; 22g protein; 3g fiber

I think Karen gave me this recipe. She shared it in the meeting and some of you wanted it. Thanks Karen.

Lemon Dijon Salad Dressing  0 Points Plus

1 or 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 fresh squeezed lemon
salt and pepper to taste

 *Fresh cloved garlic if you want

Wisk and put in refrigerator 
You can add chopped fresh cilantro or parsley. Just mix together.
Take out 1/2 hour before serving.


Jean bought the Tastier Than Take Out Weight Watchers cookbook a few weeks ago and has been telling me about all the great recipes that's in it. She was nice enough to lend it to me and I'm looking forward to trying some of them in the next few weeks. I've only had a few minutes to look at it but here's a couple of recipes that look really interesting:
Tamale Pot Pies with Turkey and Pepper Jack
Tex-Mex Eggs Migas with Cheddar and Jalapeno
Turkey Nacho Salad
Carne Asada Tacos

Looking at the recipes I've just listed I'm thinking there is a Mexican day in my near future. Just thought I'd share this MSG-Free taco seasoning recipe with you.



 

I have another La Loosh recipe in my oven right now. The recipe is below. I will let you all know how it turned out. Instead of using spinach I used Kale because thats what I had on hand. 
 Turkey Lasagna Recipe with Spinach and Mushrooms - 6 Points - LaaLoosh


 Thought I would throw in this funny. If not cookies maybe ice cream or potato chips. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment