Saturday, January 5, 2013

New Year New WW Member


Why I love my WW meeting. I got a great idea from Jean. She said when she walked through the door last Thursday morning she was a new WW member just starting on her WW journey even though she has been a member for 5 years. I took that thought and I'm running with it. I was just playing at losing weight last year. Yes I lost 5 lbs but if I had continuted my commitment like I did when I walked through the WW doors in August 2010 I would be at maintenance now. Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of that 5 pounds and know if not for the changes I've made and my commitment to going to meetings I would be on my way to the old unhealthy ME. With that being said here a few of the steps I'm taking this first week of my rededication to doing it  the WW way instead of Lynda's way.

1) I bought a 12 week planner and I'm using it. I did that when I started WW in 2010 . I journaled my Points and water back then. I have learned so much since that first day. I now have activity Points to journal, thoughts and feelings and weekly or monthly goals.

2) I wrote out my commitment for this week---- I committed to eating  breakfast at my kitchen counter. My eating place of choice, my recliner in front of the tv. I've eaten there (kitchen counter) 3 days now and can say it is boring but I'm hoping to learn something from it.

 3) I also wrote in my Planner that I will not buy a soda from Grocery Outlet. Every time I go to Grocery Outlet it has become habit to buy a Coke Zero.  I don't need it and plan on putting $1.50 into my fun fund every time I leave GO without a Coke in my hand. So far I've earned $3.00.  I'm thinking a pedicure is in my future. :)

4) I went to the Dollar Store and bought a book of rewards. They say things like Great, Super, Way to go, You did it. As silly as this seems, I'm looking forward to the time when I can go back into my Planner and see a whole weeks worth of my very own BRAVOS.

I have some great recipes to share. Some of them I have shared before and I'm going to share again because I made them this last week and they deserve the repeat. The chili recipe Mary made and said it was delicious. We both thought the Spanish Rice one looked real good. I'm going to make the Texas-Style Casserole that was in this weeks weekly tomorrow. I will let you know how it was next week.
                                                        Recipes

This is so good and a  Large portion. Actually I have a smaller portion because I like to have a cornbread muffin with it.

Kale and Potato Soup with Turkey Sausage
Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
Servings: 4 servings Size: 1/4th Old Points: 5 pts • Points+: 6
Calories: 284.1 • Fat: 5.0 g • Carb: 37.6 g • Fiber: 5.5 g • Protein: 22.6 g • Sugar: 2.4 g
Ingredients:

  • 1 lb reduced fat, turkey sausage
  • 1 lb kale, stems removed, leaves shredded
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 medium carrot, sliced
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 6 cups fat free chicken broth
  • 3 medium new or red potatoes, peeled diced into 1/4 inch pieces
  • 1 pinch dried red pepper flakes
  • salt to taste
  • 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper

Directions:
In a large pot, cook sausage over low heat. Turn and cook until brown, about 10 minutes. Remove from pot and let cool. Cut sausage into slices. Remove fat from pot.
Add oil to pot, add onion and cook on medium until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
Add broth carrots, and black pepper, bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes. Add sausage, potatoes, red pepper flakes and bring back to a simmer. Cook covered for about 4 minutes. Add kale and bring back to a simmer. Cook partially covered until the potatoes and kale are cooked. Adjust salt if needed.


I always serve the Chicken Fried-Steak with Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes. I don't eat this but Roger and Frankie both think it's awsome. I also made a Seven Layer Salad to serve with it.

Chicken Fried- Steak


361 people rated this recipe
PointsPlus®value | 8
Servings | 4
Preparation Time | 10 min
Cooking Time | 23 min
Level of Difficulty | Moderate

main meals | It looks like fried chicken but it's actually steak coated with seasoned flour and bread crumbs. It's pan-fried until crisp, then drizzled with a rich onion gravy.

Ingredients

  • 12 oz uncooked lean beef round or cube steak
  • 1/4 cup(s) white all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 tsp table salt, divided
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper, divided
  • 1 1/4 cup(s) fat-free skim milk, divided
  • 1 large egg white(s)
  • 1 cup(s) dried plain breadcrumbs, coarse-variety (I used Panko bread crumbs)
  • 2 slice(s) uncooked reduced-fat bacon (I used Hormel Bacon Bits)
  • 1 spray(s) cooking spray
  • 1/2 cup(s) uncooked onion(s), chopped
  • 1/8 tsp hot pepper sauce, optional

Instructions

  • Place steak between 2 sheets of waxed paper and pound to 1/2-inch thickness; slice steak into 4 equal pieces
  • 1/2-inch thickness; slice steak into 4 equal pieces.
  • Combine flour, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/8 teaspoon of pepper on a plate. Combine 1/4 cup of milk and egg white in a shallow bowl. Place bread crumbs on another plate.
  • Dip a piece of steak in flour mixture; turn to coat both sides. Next, dip steak in milk mixture; turn to coat both sides. Lastly, dip steak in bread crumbs; turn to coat both sides and set aside. Repeat with remaining pieces of steak; reserve 1 tablespoon of leftover flour.
  • In a large nonstick skillet, over medium heat, brown bacon, flipping once, about 5 minutes; remove from skillet and set aside. Add steaks to same skillet and place over medium-high heat. Cook about 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium, or longer to desired degree of doneness. Remove steaks and set aside.
  • Off heat, coat skillet with cooking spray and set over medium heat. When hot, add onion; cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Add reserved tablespoon of flour; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Pour in remaining cup of milk, scraping up any browned bits with a wooden spoon. Reduce heat to medium-low; add remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 1/8 teaspoon of pepper and hot sauce. Crumble bacon; stir into skillet. Increase heat to medium and cook until gravy is thickened, stirring constantly, about 1 to 3 minutes. Spoon gravy over steaks and serve immediately. Yields about 3 ounces of steak and 1/4 cup of gravy per serving.
                                                                   

Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes


1 people rated this recipe
PointsPlus®value | 2
Servings | 3
Preparation Time | min
Cooking Time | min
Level of Difficulty | Easy

Ingredients
1 1/2 pound(s) cauliflower, Cut into chunks. Microwave in a covered glass dish
1 serving(s) Olivio Butter Spread (I used I can't believe it's not butter)
1 1/2 Tbsp fat free half-and-half cream ( I just used Fat Free Milk)

Steam cauliflower in micro wave till tender. Put cauliflower, butter spread and half-and-half into blender. Blend till consistency of mashed potatoes.
 
If you click on the link below it will take you to the recipes. As I said Mary made the Chili recipe and said it was excellent. I'm looking forward to making it myself.

Light Spanish Rice Recipe – 4 Points - LaaLoosh


Light Beef Chili Recipe - 4 Points - LaaLoosh


I hope you all are having a great start to your new year. Please feel free to share your thoughts and recipes. In closing I will leave you with this thought:













No comments:

Post a Comment