Sunday, February 26, 2012

Sharing


Griswald's New Ride

You are all probably wondering why I have a picture of my Cat. Well he is my new walking partner. I bought him a pet taxi at a yard sale on Friday ($5.00) and we have as of today logged 2 hours. He doesn't complain, never asks to stop for a drink, is always ready to go and if I decide to walk farther /or shorter he doesn't tell me I need to do more. He loves his new ride and I am working a lot harder pushing an extra 25 pounds up and down the hills of my neighborhood. I have been struggling with my exercise routine for a few weeks and this is my new motivation.I am parking Giswald's ride in my living room. No excuses.

It has made me realize how much I should appreciate all the hard work I have done over the last year and a half and to never forget what that extra weight took away from me. I couldn't have walked around my neighborhood much less enjoyed all the beauty there is here.I had given up so many things. I would never have seen the beautiful deer, the magnificent flowers, or exchanged good mornings with my fellow walkers.

 I haven't enjoyed working out in my yard for many years because my back and legs would object very loudly in a short period of time,  I just didn't get out there and do it.

On Friday morning I transplanted flowers in my flower beds. I have plans to make many changes in my flower beds this spring and for the first time in many years I look forward to these changes. These challenges will be different from past years. Before it was the challenge of just getting my body and mind prepared to go out and struggle through the pain of the work involved. Now I look forward to the exercise I will get in as I create  beautiful flower beds I can tend to and enjoy for many years to come. 

The picture on the left is my sister and myself taken a few months before I joined Weight Watchers, I joined August 5th, 2010. The picture on the right is me today.

 I knew when my sister and niece came to visit and we went to Fort Bragg that they were wondering if I would be able to keep up. There were days when I thought I wasn't going to be able to walk another step. I got tired and had some trouble keeping up with them but I kept going. My sister said I did a lot better than they thought I would but I knew my weight had kept us from getting to do some things,  that I just couldn't or wouldn't do. You talk about a  WAKE UP CALL.

Thanks Laura and Christine


When we got back home to Paradise my sister wanted me to go for walks around my neighborhood with her. You talk about hard. I thought many times she was going to have to call the para-medics. It took me a few months to get up the courage to walk through those Weight Watchers doors but it was  one of the best decisions I have ever made. I'm now living the life my weight had denied me and I'm looking forward to the many years my weight loss has added to my life, to all the new adventures I get to enjoy, and to the good health I have gained.

Thank you to my husband, my family, best friend (Rita) and to all the new WW friends I have made.
Your support, encourgment and love has made this journey much easier.

This is just the beginning, there is so much more to do, and I look forward to every day!

4 comments:

  1. What a sweet walking partner. How do you get him to stay in his pet stroller? I'm happy that you found your great exercise tool and partner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The top zips down. It has mesh so he can see out. The dogs walkers snicker at us and calls Griswald, lazy cat. Thats ok, we know differnt.

      Delete
  2. You are such an inspiration to me! I love the story of your weight loss journey. My first weigh-in was on Monday and I am very excited to report that I lost
    4.6 lbs! I find WW to be an easy program to follow, and my family loves the food I am preparing--a win-win situation.

    I still need to send you those recipes I promised--haven't forgotten. I am trying your french toast recipe this morning. Had the Pizza Pizza Egg Mug the other day and really enjoyed it!

    I love your pet taxi! I have three cats and one dog. I am really a cat lover at heart (but, don't tell my dog). I like how you reflect on the fact that pushing your pet around the neighborhood, those extra 20-25 lbs, makes you think about how you used to carry around the extra weight you have lost. I remember one time, on another weight loss attempt, how, after losing only one pound, I felt very discouraged. Until, someone pointed out to me that I needed to look at that one pound as the same as a one pound package of butter. That puts thinks into perspective because one pound is actually alot of weight! So, everytime I lose weight, I just keep stacking those one pound butter packages to give myself a visual of my weight loss.

    I'm off to make your french toast. Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb,
    Congratulations on your first weight loss. 4.6 is amazing. I know how much work goes into losing weight but I also know it is so worth it. Keep up the great job.

    I'm glad I can be an inspiration. I have had so many inspireing people on this journey. The friendships I have made at WW are invaluable. With the help and support of so many loving people there is no way I couldn't be inspired to be successful. The support is one of my biggest tools. Knowing I'm not in this alone keeps me going.

    I'm so glad to know that some of my recipes are being tried. I hope you enjoy your french toast. I'm a person who just can't eat the same thing day after day. I try to buy groceries once a week and make my meals around what I have on hand. This has really made me put my thinking cap on to come up with some tasty treats.

    I understand the pound of butter thing. A friend of mine used canned goods. She had quit a pile by the time she had lost 50 pounds. Everytime I go buy 50 pounds of bird seed I try to visualize it on my body. I can't believe I carried an extra 70 lbs around. No wonder my knees, feet, and back hurt all the time. I'm looking forward to getting to goal. A little apprehensive about maintance but I know the support is there with WW.

    I would love to have a dog but hubby works nights and sleeps days and he thinks a dog would bark and wake him up and they are a lot more work than a cat. Our Griswald is 8 years old and so so spoiled. You need to get a pet taxi for your cats. Gris loves his. We could meet at Bidwell and push our babies aka: kittys around. :)

    Have a wonderful day and I look forward to chatting again soon.

    ReplyDelete