Friday, March 2, 2012

Activity

                                                       Activity Challenge

Well girls it sounds like we need to get a move on. Kim challenged us to move more this week. Here's my dilemma.  " What, When, and Where? " Now that I have my excuses out of the way I'm going to try some of the hints I heard at the meeting today and some that were in the weekly.  Plus implement some I have just been to lazy to do. Lets put on that pedometer and get out there and walk or what ever activity seems like something you would enjoy.
                                                    
                               Here are a few of the things that may get you up and moving.

1) Walking during commercials ( a 1 hour show will net you about 18-20 minutes of activity.)

2) Park at the very back of the parking lot and walk in to the store.  When I go to Chico and do major shopping this will easily net me 12,000 steps.

3) Break up your workout,  into 10 minute sessions.

4) Get a work out buddy. For any of you who are following me you know mine right now is my cat Griswald. Please don't laugh but  I think I need to get some friends.

  I'm sure poor ole Fido would just love to go for a walk or play a game of fetch.

5) Find something you enjoy, turn up those tunes  and dance till you can't dance no more. Work out in those flower beds, that have been neglected over the winter or take a nice walk in one of our many beautiful parks.  (The picture is of a walk I took at Aquatic Park here in Paradise last week.)

6) Start training for our spring Weight Watchers 5k. I walked my first one last year. It was an amazing accomplishment for myself and I'm sure everyone who took part in it. Best of all it didn't seem like work. We all talked and walked and got to know one another while walking the 5k and the time flew by. Besides that it was FUN.

Well that was just a few of the things that I can do to get myself off and on. OFF my behind and ON my feet. I AM going to get going and get in some extra activity this week.



This is what Griswald and I saw while on our walk earlier. I have realized that pushing the extra 25 pounds of Griswald and stroller really makes me work a lot harder. I also wonder how in the world I carried around the weight I have already lost. No wonder I was always sitting and activity was not on my list of things to do . I'm so glad that is changing.

                        
                         


                                  There are many benefits to moving more. Here are just a few:

1) It's good for your cardio health, your bones, and your immune system.

2)  It helps reduce stress

3)  It helps you sleep better

4) You'll have more energy

5) And the one we are all striving for-- It helps in our weigh loss journey.

6) Also you can earn extra activity points to use or not for something you really want.

There are many benefits to getting extra activity in but for myself the benefits have been far reaching.  Not only is my health better and I'm off several medications and I no longer have to use a cane when I walk , members of my family and my best friend has jumped on the band wagon and started their own journey to better health. Today I'm miles from where I was 1 1/2 year ago. For myself it's a slow process but one I will never regret and  I will always be thankful for the day I walked into my first WW meeting, for the friends I have made and for the unwavering support I get every time I walk through that WW door.

Till next time, keep smiling, keep walking and never take your eyes off the prize ( better health).


4 comments:

  1. Good Morning!

    I love the idea of walking during commercials--my son will think I'm a little strange, but I don't care and I guess I actually am a little strange in my own way!! :-D

    Wow! You are so lucky to have all that wonderful wildlife in your own backyard! And, 'Good Job' getting up and moving (even in the cold weather)! Since I have been exercising on a regular basis, I have noticed that I am sleeping much better. Not to mention it just feels good when you get out there and get that workout done each day. Such a sense of accomplishment! Thanks for encouraging all of us to move this week and for life.

    My order from Walden Farms arrived yesterday and I just opened it. Tried the calorie free peanut spread--it's good! Think I will put some in my next WW Chocolate Smoothie. Also tried their calorie free Chipotle Ranch dressing--really like that. It will be great on my fish tacos--perfect with the cabbage and fish, yum! Then I tried the calorie free chocolate dip with a few strawberries--was also good! Still have several products to try from my order, but those are the ones I've tasted so far. Thanks again for the link to their website.

    I have another recipe for you--Peppery Mushroom Sauce (only 1 point plus for 1/3 cup). I served it over some baked chicken and talk about heaven! You can use it over chicken or beef--just change up the stock you use to match your dinner menu. WAY better than traditionally made gravy or other fatty sauces! Here's the recipe . . .

    Peppery Mushroom Sauce

    Makes 4+ servings
    1 point plus per serving (1/3 cup)

    3/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
    1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
    3/4 cup cold unsalted, fat-free chicken
    or beef stock
    1 tablespoon cornstarch
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    salt

    Lightly salt and saute mushrooms in a 10-inch saute pan until mushrooms begin to brown and liquid released from mushrooms has cooked out of pan. Stir frequently while mushrooms are cooking. Add the soy sauce and 1/2 cup of the stock, and cook for 2-3 minutes.

    Mix the cornstarch with the remaining 1/4 cup stock until lump-free. Add to the hot mushroom broth, and stir as sauce thickens. Season with black pepper. You can add small amounts of additional stock if sauce becomes too thick.

    Makes about 1 1/2 cups.

    Recipe from The Flavor Set-Point Weight-Loss Cookbook, published 1990
    ________________________________________________
    Each 1/3 cup serving: 32 calories, 2.1g protein, 0.4g fat, 6.3g carbs, 0mg cholesterol, 1.6g fiber, 154mg sodium.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I just made a "Chocolate, Peanut Butter, Banana Shake" using one WW Chocolate Smoothie Packet, one frozen banana, one heaping teaspoon (not measuring spoon, just a regular teaspoon) Walden Farms calorie free Peanut Spread, 1/2 Cup nonfat milk, dash of vanilla, one packet of Splenda, a large handful of ice, and some water--mixed all until smooth in blender--equals delicious! This will be great during those hot summer months when I am craving ice cream or an ice cream shake. Just as creamy and tasty as the real thing in my opinion! Very filling, also. And, best of all, only 3 points plus for the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb,

    Made the Quiche yesterday. It is soooo good. I will be making it again and again. Have you ever made it and frozen it? I'm going to make the peppery mushroom sauce and serve it over cauli-rice and chicken for dinner tonight. Keep the recipes coming. I love sharing them and I really enjoy making them. I'm going to make your Peppery Mushroom Saues over cauli-rice and chicken tonight. Yummy

    Hope you are having a good week. Mine has been a bit of a struggle as I posted in my blog.

    I have sent you a couple of emails and just wanted to let you know. They may have went to junk mail.

    Take care and hope to hear from you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't tried freezing the quiche. It would be interesting to see how it holds up. Typically when I make it, I can't keep it around for long between myself and my hubby. If you try freezing it, let me know how it reheats from frozen.

    My week has been going pretty good . . . I did have a "pop chip party" where I consumed 55 pop chips. Well, at least I counted them and took the points off my daily intake total (a whopping 7 pp for my little craving). I have to admit, they tasted sooo good!

    I have another amazing recipe from my WW cookbooks to share with you--Creamy Chicken Fettucine Alfredo!! I think it tastes just as good as the real thing and only 8 pp per serving. Really satisfies that craving for the fat-filled version. I will post the recipe soon.

    I will check my junk mail for your emails.

    Until next time . . .

    ReplyDelete