Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Six-Vegetable Chowder

Well girls the rain is upon us. I'm proud to say I got up this morning and ate a healthy hot breakfast. Cleaned out my kitchen cupboards of all the things I've been binging on at night. Yes it has been 3 days of nighttime binging. I am happy to report I do know why I have been eating and I acknowledge it, now I just have to get control of my feelings. I know it is part of the process and my journey will continue even with the bumps in the road.

Now to more enlightening things. Deb shared some amazing recipes with me and I will now share them with all of you. She said they are really good and they certainly sound like rainy day foods:

Six-Vegetable Chowder
Makes 8-1 cup servings, 3 Points Plus each

2 cups chicken stock
3 cups frozen corn kernels, defrosted
1 medium onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 celery stalk without leaves, finely diced
1 potato peeled and diced
1 cup shredded zucchini
1 medium carrot, peeled and finely diced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1-12 oz. can evaporated shim milk
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/3 tsp salt
1 tsp dried marjoram (if you don't have marjoram you can use oregano)
2 tsp dried parsley or 1 1/3 Tbsp Fresh
Tabasco Sauce (optional)

In a blender or food processor combine 1 cup of the stock with half the corn and blend until smooth. Pour into a 2 quart stock pot.

Cook onion, garlic and celery in the corn liquid for 5  minutes over medium heat. Add the diced potato, zucchini, carrot, bell pepper, and the remaining stock and corn. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes and carrots are tender. Add the evaporated skim milk and seasonings.Continue cooking for 5 minutes. Adjust salt and pepper to taste, add a few drops of Tabasco Sauce if desired.

You can thicken the Chowder with a little cornstarch mixed with water to make it have the thickness of a true chowder.

1 comment:

  1. Just thought I would let you know that this chowder gets better as it sits in the fridge. This is my third day enjoying a bowl and tonight was even better than the two nights before. Also, I found putting a dollup of fat free sour cream on this chowder makes it even better!

    ReplyDelete