Saturday, March 31, 2012

Crockpot Clam Chowder

4 Points Plus per serving/ makes 6 servings
 Cooked and diced (4 slices) Center Cut Bacon
1 (16-ounce) can minced clams, drained
5 small red potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks (1 cup)
1 onion, peeled and diced
1 cup sliced celery
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups half-and-half (Fat Free)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (to add later) (Low Fat)

The Directions.

Use a 4-quart slow cooker. Brown the bacon on the stove top, and drain the accumulated grease (I saved bacon from breakfast-- about  4 slices )
Put the bacon into your crock pot, and add clams. Add all the vegetables and spices and pour in the broth. Cover, and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or until the onion is translucent and the potatoes squish easily with a fork.
Use a hand-held stick blender and pulse a few times to naturally thicken the soup. Stir in half and half and shredded cheese. Ladle into wide-mouthed bowls.




I didn't pulse the potatoes because I like mine chuncky. I also added about 15 carrots because I wanted more veggies. Next time I will use about 1/2 the thyme. The time gave it a really nice flavor. I also got 7  1/2- 1 cup servings instead of 6. This would adjust the PP or just have 1 1/4 cup. I served it with cornbread for 6 PP for 2 pieces. I love cornbread and I think it's worth the points. You could serve it with some crusty bread. I will make this again. I really enjoyed the flavor.

I got this recipe from a Year of Slow Cooking and adapted it to healthy points

No comments:

Post a Comment